Sunday, December 20, 2009

The alure and profit of "FARMVILLE" for ceramicists



Our next issue of CERAKANVAS is themed "Down on the Farm".
If you go to gamezebo.com and check out FARMVILLE you may be surprised at what you see. Then again, you may say "Really, I thought it would be more than that." Can you believe that as of Oct, 2009 there were over 56 million people playing FARMVILLE on facebook worldwide! And FARMVILLE is only one of almost a dozen apps. that are based from a farm theme. Some of the other more popular ones include titles like; MY FARM, FARM BUDDIES, FARM TOWN and FARM LIFE. While these are created as "free" games for social networking sites, there is an aspect that lures people into spending money. But this BLOG is about the extreme popularity of living "down on the farm" in a virtual and often surreal world.
The rural country life has been an attraction for a very long time in America. From farm scene toille fabric prints to roosters in the kitchen. Even TV shows like Green Acres where city life crosses into country life, have become cultural icons. We took the concept of this popularity, and gave some advice to people who asked us how they might improve sales this holiday season. We gave them ideas on how to set up a FARMVILLE booth, offering ceramic pieces that directly would be loved my FARMVILLE addicts, I mean players. Here's what we heard back:
" I dug out my old Duncan animal dolls in the small sizes. I haven't cast these in years. I found some cute farm dresses and overhauls at the local craft store to dress them in. The outfits only cost me $2.99 each. Altogether I had less than six dollars in each one. I made a hundred total. I called them "farmies" and said they were to help you prosper on your farms, and have great harvests. My whole booth took on a farm theme with bales of hay and I wore overhauls and pigtails. It was a 2 day craft bazaar. I sold out before the end of the first day. I was smart and kept 1 of every style., I ran the second day on prepaid orders. I sold another 118! At $19.95 each I made $4,300+ of which almost $3,000 was profit for me. When I went back to the craft store to order a gross (144) of the costumes they offered me a nice discount too. I will admit I would have never thought of this on my own, Thanks CAG!" Lynae H.
" A couple of years ago I acquired the mold inventory of another ceramic shop that had gone out of business. There was almost a complete set of Byron Village molds. When you suggested turning some of the farm buildings like the barn and silo, the grist mill, and the farm home into banks it paid off for me. I made little signs to go above the coin slot on each bank that said "Save Here to Expand Your Farm", "COINS & CASH Welcome!" I made the booth real inviting. Lot's of yellow gingham and a kids John Deere green tractor ride-on toy for a prop. Just about everybody who stopped by complimented me on my fun looking booth. But more importantly I still can't believe how many of these banks I sold. They were the most popular thing I think at the whole fair, except of course the cedar door swags. I made more profit from my booth than I ever have in the last 12 years of doing this country fair." Chalice & Roy
The good news, FARMVILLE won't be going away anytime soon. So you might want to start planning for upcoming fairs and shows in 2010. Be creative, be attention calling, be exciting and you will sell stuff you thought was no longer marketable. Think outside the box!
The "Down on the Farm" issue of CERAKANVAS premiers February 1, 2010 at a farm, or computer terminal, near you! Won't you join us?

1 comment:

  1. I am looking so forward to this issue.....it is amazing how the things we get ourselves involved in on the internet or in daily life in general can inpsire a new design to paint or a piece that we would have never thought aboout doing. Not too mention those great memories from our childhood or earlier years gone by....it is truly good to remember and get inspired.

    ReplyDelete